We are at about the midway point of the 2013 high school baseball season in Orange County. Teams will compete in various tournaments this week before getting back to the second round of league play.
Several high profile tournaments will take place around the county with all top teams will be participating. The National Classic, Anaheim Lions Tournament, and the inaugural Boras Classic will be played a various fields across the county. Click the event name for full schedule and information.
Below is my Orange County Baseball Top 10:
1. Mater Dei (10-1, 5-0) Defended title at National High School Invitational after sweeping through first round of Trinity League play. Will be host site for Boras Classic.
2. Fountain Valley (13-1, 5-0) Open two game lead in Sunset League with great win over Marina. Doing it with pitching and defense.
3. Canyon (10-1, 5-1) After winning preseason Lions Tournament, the Comanches have won close games en route to first place in Century League.
4. El Toro (8-4, 4-0) Chargers have arguably the best 1-2 punch on the mound in county. Offense is heating up. Defense has been solid too.
5. Capo Valley (13-4, 2-2) Coach Zamora has this team on the verge of a special season behind some young and talented players.
6. San Clemente (12-3, 3-1) Big win last week over Aliso Niguel put Tritons in first place in league. Could be surprise team come playoffs.
7. Orange Lutheran (8-4, 3-2) A week off has Lancers eying a deep run in National Classic after going 4-1 in opening round of Trinity League play.
8. Cypress (9-3, 2-0) Good sweep over Kennedy has Centurions primed for National Classic. Need to find more consistency.
9. Beckman (11-2, 5-0) Despite losses to Sea View League team, Patriots are rolling everyone else. Could make noise in the Beach Pit Classic.
10. Marina (7-6, 3-2) Tough loss to Fountain Valley last week but team is talented enough to compete for league title.
Others considered: Laguna Hills, Aliso Niguel, Mission Viejo, Trabuco Hills, Servite, Garden Grove, El Dorado