Not much happened last week to cause a major shift in my OC Top 10 but there was some movement. Fountain Valley drops from #2 to #3 after a pair of one run victories over a young and inconsistent Huntington Beach team. Mater Dei stays at the top after another 3-0 week and another championship. Below is my OC Top 10 with notes. Previous ranking in parentheses.
1. Mater Dei (1) - The Monarchs swept Servite in Trinity League play before winning the championship of the Boras Classic over Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove, Calif.) in Stockton. Mater Dei faces Santa Margarita this week having won the first meeting 4-2.
2. El Toro (3) - The Chargers overcame an uncharacteristic start for Chasen Ford to beat Capo Valley 10-8 last week. They won the second game 4-1. The offense is hitting its stride now with Dan James and Gavin Collins seeing the ball really well right now.
3. Fountain Valley (2) - I watched as the Barons nearly squandered a five run lead late to Huntington Beach before winning 12-11 in the bottom of the seventh on a ferociously windy day. The Barons beat the Oilers a few days later 9-8. There is a lot to like about Fountain Valley offensively and defensively, there are questions about the pitching staff.
4. Canyon (4) - The Comanches won their lone game of the week 2-0 over Villa Park. They'll have a huge test this week as they face off with El Dorado. The two teams split their first two games and this one will go a long way in deciding the league champion. The Century League is down this year which makes winning the title important in terms of playoff seeding.
5. Orange Lutheran (5) - OLu swept a pair from JSerra to improve to 5-2 in Trinity League play. The Lancers will have an opportunity to claim second place outright as they face Servite for a pair of games this week. Servite beat OLu in their first meeting. After some lineup shuffling early in the season, OLu appears to have settled on one that's working.
6. San Clemente (6) - The Tritons took control of the Sea View League with a sweep of Laguna Hills last week avenging their only league loss. Sophomore Kolby Allard is 5-0 and has star written all over him.
7. Mission Viejo (7) - The Diablos swept Tesoro and now stand alone in second place in the South Coast League. They'll have an opportunity for first place as they face El Toro (2) this week in arguably the biggest matchup in Orange County. This is a junior heavy lineup and sophomore Patrick Sandoval is 6-1 on the mound.
8. Beckman (10) - The Patriots split a pair of one-run games against Irvine which gave them their first league loss and only their second loss in over five weeks. Beckman plays the two last placed teams before taking one Northwood in two weeks which should carry league title implications with it.
9. Yorba Linda (NR) - The Mustangs enter the top 10 on the virtue of winning nine of their last 11 games and their 4-0 league record. These next two weeks will prove if they belong on this list as they'll face Valencia this week and Cypress next week.
10. El Dorado (9) - The Golden Hawks split a pair with El Modena and didn't look great in either game. Maybe they were looking ahead at the huge game this week against Canyon which could decide the league champion. Sophomore Nick Sprengel continues to impress with a 1.93 ERA.
Dropped Out: Cypress - the Centurions beat Western 27-4 then turned around and lost to them 2-1.
Others Considered: Garden Grove, Marina, Trabuco Hills, Edison, Loara